Every three months or every 3,000 miles I take my car in to have an oil change. While I’m there they always check all the fluids and the air pressure in the tires and clean out the air filter, and when needed, replace the filter with a new one.
A clean air filter is very important for the proper operation of a car. It improves gas mileage, lengthens engine life, lowers emissions, and overall improves the engine performance. However, as an air filter becomes dirty, the capacity for it to filter the air going into the engine is reduced. This causes the engine to not be able to function properly and results in several issues including problems with the emission control system which can foul the spark plugs, etc., etc. You get the picture.
Today I want to challenge us to do a filter check:
- Webster’s gives this definition of the word filter: A porous device for removing impurities.
- Webster’s gives this definition of the word impurities; (1) the quality or state of being impure, (2) an unwanted substance that is found in something else and that prevents it from being pure.
I really like that second definition; an unwanted substance that is found in something else and that prevents it from being pure.
I wonder as you read these words today as a believer if there might be some unwanted substance that could be clogging your filter spiritually and preventing you from being available to Him and pure in your service to Him.
What are some things that can cause our spiritual filters to be clogged? I am listing three that I see at work on a regular basis but there are more and not enough room in one blog. Ha,ha,ha
- Unconfessed sin
- Emotional wounds
God tells us in His word how to clear our filters of these unwanted substances that prevent us from being pure.
- 1 John (ESV) If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.
- Psalm 147:3 (ESV) He heals the brokenhearted and binds up their wounds.
- Matthew 6:14-15 (ESV) … for if you forgive others their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you, but if you do not forgive others their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive your trespass.
I encourage you to seek God and ask Him to reveal to you any areas in your life that are clogging your spiritual filter. (smile)
We have 49 missionary women registered for Italy as of this writing (Tuesday night). Keep praying!
Love you all…
Copyright © 2022 by Vickie Arruda @https://purejoyinternational.blogspot.com/2015/02/filters/html/ No part of this article may be reproduced or reprinted without permission in writing from Lifeword.org.