I can already sense the tension rising.
It’s that time of year. The time when toy commercials sprinkle television screens and the rush of regular life speeds up to an even faster pace.
- IT’S THE TIME OF YEAR WHEN YOU SEE WORDS LIKE PEACE, JOY AND LOVE STITCHED ON PILLOWS AND STENCILED ON CUPS, BUT REALITY SOMETIMES PAINTS A VERY DIFFERENT PICTURE.
Instead of peace you meet pressure. The pressure to perform at an exhausting pace.
People to please.
Events to attend.
Expectations to meet.
Instead of love you feel loneliness. The holidays present a façade of togetherness, exposing all the more the places we feel left out.
Instead of joy you’re hoping you can just make it through the season.
But this year, I want more for us. I want us to experience the peace, love and joy intended not just for this time of year, but for every day of a life when we walk with Jesus. So here is what I want us to do.
- FIRST, LET’S REMEMBER.
“For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms.” Ephesians 6:12 (NIV)
Let’s not forget that we don’t merely wrestle with what we see, but with every earthly struggle comes a spiritual battle as well. These are the ones a little harder to identify. And if they are harder to see, they become more difficult to defend. The great news is God gives us spiritual armor to prepare us and guard us in these spiritual battles:
- The belt of truth to secure us and keep us from being tripped up by lies (Ephesians 5:13)
- The breastplate of righteousness to guard our heart, which is the wellspring of life (Proverbs 4:23)
- The gospel of peace as shoes to keep our steps steady no matter what kind of path we travel (Philippians 4:6-7)
- The shield of faith to go before us and link us together as a unified body in Christ (Ephesians 4:13)
- The helmet of salvation to guard our minds and transform our thoughts (Romans 12:2)
- The sword of the Spirit, God’s Word, so that we may advance (Hebrews 4:12)
Our enemy, the devil, wants to destroy our hearts this holiday season. He wants you stressed out, worn out and cleaned out. Cleaned out of love, out of joy and out of hope. So, as we remember our battle lies not only in this world but also in the spiritual realms, let’s put on the full armor of God and stand.
“Therefore put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground, and after you have done everything, to stand.” Ephesians 6:13 (NIV)
- BREATHE. PRAY. GOD HAS ME TODAY.
When Satan offers a plate of worry and whining, say, “No thanks.” When he rolls out disappointment and an overwhelmed spirit say, “I’ll pass.” Instead, let’s decide today to feast on God’s Word and remind our souls with a whisper: Breathe. Pray. God has me today.
Copyright © 2020 by Katy McCown @ https://katymccown.com/2018/11/15/save-sanity-season/. Used with permission. No part of this article may be reproduced or reprinted without permission in writing from Lifeword.org.